may we always live intentionally

28 February 2010

Swiss Valley

Over the past few weeks, I have been developing what seems to be an incurable addiction to skiing. Last friday, i purchased a pair of cross country skis and went out to the trails almost everyday. winter used to be this drab season that meant being inside for 5 months, but now, i'm out enjoying every bit of it!

And today, to extend the excitement, I went downhill skiing at Swiss Vally in Jones, MI. Of course, the facility itself was nothing special with just 'little' hills. but it was certainly sufficient for my first time. Standing at the top of the hill looking down the slope was terrifying and exhilarating all at the same time. i didn't want to crash, but i had no idea how to steer the two pieces of wood strapped to my feet. and as luck would have it, i got most of the way down and the crashed. big time! my skis flew off, i lost my hat and the skidded almost 20 feet thereafter. but that was the worst of the falls. and after that, i never looked back. After a few runs on the smaller hill, i took to the larger intermediate slope. despite the slow ride to the top, the slope was enough to send you down in a matter of seconds. there were also lots of little people and first timers out today, which made getting down the slope that much harder because they would often fall. but by the end of the day, i was able to zig-zag and dodge just about every skier or boarder on the slope. ah... what a feeling!!

i know i have told several of my friends that i have this need for the wind in my face which equates to either standing on a beach or a prairie and letting the wind take me, or creating my own as i'm flying down some slope or vast highway. and today wasn't any different. as soon as i felt the wind on my face, i was hooked. and the speed sits auxiliary to the motion of moving down the hillside, knowing that your fate is in your hands... one wrong move and your falling face first.

and every time, the need became stronger, more compelling, harder to resist. bring on the speed and the courage to go fast. i truly wish i hadn't taken so long this winter season to get involved with skiing. with the end so near, i'm either going to have to migrate westward or suck it up and wait impatiently for next season to arrive. i guess i'm just going to have to find something to occupy my summer months. maybe kayaking and mountain biking will do the trick :)


My friend Mridul and I after some great festivities of wind blown slope time.

No comments:

Post a Comment