may we always live intentionally

17 March 2010

sunset from my front porch


Unlike my dear friend Maggie in Poland, Spring appears to have arrived in Michigan. Mother Nature may pull a fast one on me... taunting me with beautiful, warm, and sunny days only to get a cold blast to remind me that winter may still be here... but who knows. I'm hoping for the warmth, but appreciating the days as they come.


I have also finally moved to the Kellogg Biological Station. I have a small house, two bedrooms and a modest kitchen and living room. Personally, I think its just the right size for me and was one of the reasons I chose to move here.


Being here by myself though, as I am right now, makes it seem bigger than it is. I think another contributing factor is that I'm not surrounded by my familiarities, like pictures of friends and family, postcards from around the world and a great big map of all the places my thoughts travel on a daily basis. No furniture in the living, no dishes in the cupboard, no clothes in the closet. Only the spare bed with my teddy lets me call this place home.

But I know its will become my own. I can see how I will decorate, what color I'm going to paint the walls, and where each of my belongings will live. This is the place that I hope to call my home for the next 5 years, and the place I hope to see many sunsets like tonights from my front porch swing. And who knows, I may get a friend to fill the emptiness the house brings at times :)




No comments:

Post a Comment